It is summertime in Houston once again, and now is the time to make sure that your air conditioner is running in top form. If it is not, there could be some easy things you can do to improve its performance without having to call in the professionals. This will save you money in two ways: you may not have to pay to have your A/C serviced, and it will run more efficiently, cutting down your power bill.
Here are five easy things you can do to improve the performance of your air conditioner:
- Replace the filters. Check your filters for dust or clogging, and if they are dirty, replace them. Dirty filters not only mean that the air circulating through your home is not as clean as it could be, it also means the air will not circulate as efficiently. Dirty or clogged filters restrict the amount of air flowing through. This means that it has to run longer to achieve the desired temperature, which burns more power. How often you must do this will depend on several different factors, so check your filters periodically to see if they need to be changed out.
- Clean the condenser coils. The condenser (the box that is outside with the fan in it) can end up with dirt and debris in it, which can clog up the coils inside. This too will decrease the efficiency of your unit and cause it to have to run more. To do this, turn off the power to the unit, open up the panels to access the coils, and clean the outside of them with a soft brush, being careful not to bend them. For the inside part, use a vacuum. If you have stubborn debris, you may need to use a spray coil cleaner, but be careful not to spray the fan or electrical components.
- Clear out any leaves or debris. Scoop out any leaves or debris from the base of the condenser, and if it has a drain, make sure it is clear. Clean the fan blades, and make sure nothing is loose or needs repaired before reassembling the condenser.
- Check the coolant lines. Make sure that the coolant lines are protected and that the foam insulation sleeves on them is in good shape. Replace any insulation that is missing or worn out.
- Test the unit. Once everything seems in order, turn the power back on to the unit and then test it to see if it is working properly.
These few easy steps can save you money and keep your air conditioner working efficiently and effectively, and here in Houston, we know how important that is!
For more information or to ask about our current listings, contact The Doug Erdy Group today!